Jerzy Limon: Inspiration – Dialogue – Polemics | an international academic conference
A year has passed since Professor Jerzy Limon had passed away leaving his lifework – his theatre, but the scope of his academic work and artistic creation was so broad that the international conference is being organised, dedicated to the memory and life achivements of the late Professor entitled Jerzy Limon: Inspiration – Dialogue – Polemics.
The aim of the conference is to stimulate interdisciplinary discussion, gathering distinguished scholars, artists, critics, curators, and culture animators who would like to respond to Jerzy Limon’s achievement and ongoing influence. Accordingly, the meeting will consist of six panel discussions: Shakespeareana, Archives, Theories, Narratives, Translations, and Actions.
Links to an online streaming:
PROGRAMME and Book of Abstracts – Day 1
PROGRAMME and Book of Abstracts – Day 2
More about the panel topics:
• Shakespeareana: Shakespearean subject matter in Jerzy Limon’s research on theatre and drama;
• Archives: Jerzy Limon’s use of historical sources, his findings in the field of theatre history and his vision of time and history;
• Theories: theatre theory as formulated by Jerzy Limon;
• Narratives: Jerzy Limon’s literary output;
• Translations: Jerzy Limon’s translations of dramatic texts and their stagings;
• Actions: Jerzy Limon’s activities in the field of cultural animation, including the Gdańsk Shakespeare Festival, performances in the space of the theatre, and other performative activities he inspired.
The conference organizers are the Gdańsk Shakespeare Theatre, Theatrum Gedanense Foundation and the University of Gdańsk, in cooperation with the Institute of Literary Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, the Adam Mickiewicz Institute, and Adam Mickiewicz University. The Organizing Committee members are: Jacek Kopciński, IBL PAN (General Chair); Marta Gibińska, TEU; Jacek Fabiszak, AMU; Zbigniew Majchrowski, UG; Agnieszka Żukowska, UG and Marta Nowicka, GTS.
The conference will be held in English and Polish with simultaneous interpretation, and streamed online.