ShakeSphere – new call for ESFN competition!
… spherical, like a globe; I could find out countries in her.
Comedy of Errors
This is a call for new work, from the world theatre community.
After an enormously successful first season in 2022, when 42 project proposals were received from around the world, we are delighted to announce the call for the 2023 Shakesphere programme.
The ESFN (European Shakespeare Festivals Network) brings together the key festivals across Europe who present Shakespeare from an international perspective.
Our mission is to encourage collaboration across the various festivals, and to develop new opportunities and possibilities for theatre and performance makers who want to work with Shakespeare.
The ESFN are delighted to announce a world-wide competition call for a for a small-scale production for 2023.
The winner will be invited to four member festivals during the year:
International York Shakespeare Festival (UK)
Craiova International Shakespeare Festival (Romania) 19 – 29 May, 2022
Itaka Shakespeare Festival (Serbia) 30 June – 6 July 2022
Gdansk Shakespeare Festival (Poland) 27 July – 7 August 2022
Shakespeare Festival at Hamlet’s Castle (Denmark) 29 July – 7 August 2022
Verona Shakespeare and Fringe Festival
Shakespeare Festival im Globe Neuss (Germany)
To apply, you must be available to perform at all seven festivals.
WHAT DO WE EXPECT?
– A piece derived from Shakespeare’s plays or reworking of his text.
– Around 60-80 minutes in length.
– Maximum of 5 in the total touring company and at least 2 actors.
– No touring set – all props and costumes should be able to travel with the actors as standard luggage
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
Once the chosen performance is announced, there will be an opportunity to discuss these conditions with each festival, and to confirm the fee and other details.
All festivals organisers will provide:
– The festival’s regular performance fee for at least two performances
– Accommodation and local transport
– The venue and technical support
– Additional days in residence, meetings with other artists, tickets to performances
– the ESFN will work with the winning company and other partners to try to cover travel costs
TO APPLY IS SIMPLE:
Please send us:
– a cv of your company and your previous achievements
– a one page statement of your idea for this performance.
– a two minute video in English, of you speaking to camera about your piece
– supporting material: links to online material, photographs, and films of previous productions
The call for applications is open until midnight on 30 December, 2022, and we will announce the successful production on January 20, 2023.
Submissions will be accepted until midnight (CET) December 30, 2022.
The result of the competition will be announced on January 20, 2023
You can find out more information about our organisation and the full conditions of the call at www.esfn.eu